Thursday, December 18, 2008

What A Week!


Whew! So - last week was coming to terms with being unemployed. This week was mayhem! On Monday we had new ceramic tile installed in our Bathrooms (the final thing needed to fully update without spending a bundle) and on Tuesday new Carpet throughout the carpeted areas of the home. Our house is still not back to normal and we're headed to the Big Apple tomorrow.

We're going up to see the sights before Christmas. Rockefeller Center, the Windows on 5th Avenue, and Central Park with a carriage ride. Our son also wants to go to the top of the Empire State Building - he's totally into King Kong. So - we go! We're also bringing our beloved dog, Luna. I'll let you know how that went. Our last trip to Florida this time last year (on a plane) with Luna was NOT a good thing. She was great until 45 minutes into a 2 hour flight - then she got diarrhea. If you think that a screaming child is bad - imagine recirculated air with the stench of smelly dog poop - and well, that was our trip down. The trip back was a marked improvement with the aid of Dramamine and she sat in my lap the entire flight back. We're staying at the Thirty Thirty Hotel (30 E 30th Street) so, I'll let you know how that goes.

We're driving up.

So - the last few days has been about home improvements. I've made quite a few purchases - and we're considering this our Christmas gift to ourselves - but I did purchase a few choice things for my husband...and he believes I am truly weird. I want new Kitchen appliances. A new fridge (french doors with the freezer on the bottom) and a new dishwasher and stove - all in matte black. Sigh...we'll see.

Today was truly funny - I had to take my car in for service - not normal service, no way. It was because my door locks on my passenger front seat don't always work correctly. The funny thing is they wouldn't unlock. See, most of the time, the doors worked just fine. THEN, my husband would ride in the passenger side and get locked in. The doors wouldn't open, unlock, not at all. He'd have to crawl over the center and then get out on the driver's side (he's not a short person, so this made his endeavor a wee bit trying). So, it only happened to him - not to the 8 other people whom I have driven around this past month, my husband only. So - there was something wrong with my CR-V, the actuator was bad, but it took a large man riding in the passenger seat for them to figure out what was wrong. The had to get the height and weight nearly the same and then drive for 30 minutes and then stop and attempt to unlock the car doors. BINGO! So - they got the car back to the shop, ran a computer check on the situation and that's how they figured it out.

Meanwhile, I met several very nice people. When you're not working, there's no need to rush around, so I had some very nice conversations with some very nice people and learned about some new technology. I also learned that I still want a Honda S-2000 convertible for my 40th Birthday - I know it will never happen, but it sounds fun. Plus, I'd look absolutely awesome - and hey - it's not how you feel, "it's how you look!"

Well - I've got to go pack, and prepare for tomorrow's outing to NYC for the weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes and how "dog-friendly" it really is.

No comments: