Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rules of the Interview

If you've ever gone to a career website (Monster.com or CareerBuilder.com, for example) there are two things that you will undoubtedly run into. One is the resume writing button - which will eventually will cost an arm and a leg to have them write it, with "guaranteed results" and secondly, the article on "what to do and NOT to do in an interview".

It is the latter that I will be discussing rather than the former.

OK - now people, I've read articles on body language, how to dress, how to bathe (yes, people still refrain from this activity on occasion - can we say - GROSS!), and what to say and not to say. I mean they've had psychologists analyze people going through job interviews. It's really rather fascinating. However, after going through many different interviews, it is more how to answer the questions that is to me the most interesting.

See - I'm interviewing. I'm unemployed. I was laid off in December, but after a regrettable lapse in good decision making, I'm back to being unemployed. My choice. So, the interview itself should not provide a great deal of nervousness if you have any confidence within yourself whatsoever. Bathe, light fragrance (if you wear perfume - don't drench yourself in Shalimar) and if you're a gal, a pant suit (yes a coat and slacks that are sold together as an outfit) or a traditional business skirt suit do a remarkable job. Please make sure that this is in fashion and not something your mother would have worn in 1976. You can get these suits at reasonable prices at TJ Maxx, and Marshalls and for the plus size woman try Catherine's or Ann Taylor Woman. You can also find plus size clothing at reasonable prices at Bloomingdales. They're always having a sale at Bloomies. Macy's has great sales too - so if you don't find what you want at the true budget friendly shops, let me know and I'll try to lead you in the right direction.

So, now that we've established what a woman wears to a job interview, let me tell you that confidence can either make or break an interview. I am a confident woman. This means that I know that I am capable of doing a great job. However, there are those out there who will interview a confident person and not be confident within themselves. They can feel intimidated by you or find you aggressive. I've come across usually with recruiters. Unfortunately, they then tell you that you need to back down in regard to your personality. This is unfortunate because you want to "sell yourself" during the interview.

Now, you don't want to come across as arrogant. This can happen. It's a delicate balance.

So, my learnings today - after a phone interview - is to balance your personality with your desire for the position. Make sure that you really want the job, and be confident and ladylike as well as use good body posture and body language.

Good luck - and I wish myself good luck too as I've got quite a few interviews set up for the next few days. I'll keep you informed, and let you know how things go.

No comments: